Turku Center for Disease Modeling (TCDM)
Focus on science and science driven services using advanced animal models
TCDM is a research and research service organisation at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Turku.
provides state-of-art research facilities and expertise in
in vivo studies to support both academic and industry-associated non-clinical research.
The facilities and expertise are also available for contract research.
One entrance to tailored research packages
Disease models are experimental animals produced via gene technology
methods (or other tools) and having a human disease related phenotype.
Disease models are of key importance in studying the disease
- progression and development
- prevention and treatment
- analyzing the drug candidates before clinical trials
Their use also increases the commercial value of drug candidates.
Mission of TCDM is
- to generate and study advanced disease models with a specific focus in gene modified animals and in xenograft studies with a specific reference to drug discovery
- to facilitate studies devoted to understand the pathogenesis and mechanisms of the diseases, and testing drug candidates in vivo
- to form a bridge between the basic and clinical research
- to offer a strong infrastructure for both basic research and drug industry
- to provide high-quality training for techniques related to animal experimentation
TCDM activities are cost-effective and research-driven.